| 65th : SMB3|
|So if Super Mario Bros. 3 is a play, would this be a simulation of a simulation?|
- "It felt like you made all these graphic replacements and tried to show them all at once instead of making an actual level."
- ―JupiHornet, excerpt from judge comment.
SMB3 is the 65th place entry in Make a Good Mega Man Level 2. The level is based off of Super Mario Bros 3, and features many of that game's graphics as well as Mario-themed enemies (most of which are little more than sprite swaps of normal devkit enemies). There are two main sections of the stage; a normal "athletic" area at the start, and a choice between an airship-themed gauntlet or a battalion of tanks. Both sections are slow enemy-filled auto-scrolling areas, forcing Mega Man to avoid getting crushed between level terrain and the edge of the screen. At the end, Bowser is fought as the boss no matter which path is taken.
This level is enemy spam heavy. Think Metal Slug or Contra but with unfair enemy placement and enemies that don't die in one shot. Use Triple Blade or your Mega Buster if you have an itchy trigger finger. Take on the first part of the level slowly to avoid running into enemy fire. For the scrolling sections, just stick to the back of the screen, spam Hornet Chaser or Triple Blade or charge your Mega Buster. If you want a challenge, play the airship section. If you want to test your itchy trigger finger, play the tank battalion section. General consensus seems to be that the Tank Battalion section is the least frustrating section to play through.
The first part of the level is basically supposed to be your average Mario level, except it has tons of bad guys. After travelling across the field dodging enemy fire, you go down a pipe, travel across a pit with Concrete Man platforms and you end up at a split path that will take you to two auto-scrolling levels: The Tank Battalion section and the Airship Fleet section. The difficulty in this section of the level isn't as frustrating as the auto-scrolling section.
Tank Battalion Section
The first scrolling section you can select. It takes place on the ground in the outskirts of the Mushroom Kingdom. This tank battalion is on their way to smash through Princess Peach's castle and Mega Man (or whoever you use as your player skin) is the only one who can stop the tank battalion from entering the Mushroom Kingdom! Cheesy side-story aside, this scrolling section has players facing off against waves of Koopa Troopas, Rifle Troopas, War Goombas, Hammer Bros., Parazooka Troopas and even some unchanged Mega Man enemies (Walking Bomb from Mega Man 3 and Killer Bullet from Mega Man 1). This section also has the fragmenting missiles from Mega Man 5 occasionally flying towards the player's path. The end of the stage has a teleporter that takes you to the boss room.
Airship Fleet Section
The other scrolling section you can select. Also the more frustrating section due to having to make precise jumps onto the Tomahawk Man stage platforms while avoiding flying bad guys. This level has the most default Mega Man enemies placed in the entire stage. Some of those unchanged Mega Man enemies include the Apache Joe, Jet Buton, Parasyu and a Cocco. The end of the stage has a teleporter that takes you to the boss room.
After going through the scrolling section, you end up in the boss room. Bowser faces off against you in a not-so-epic showdown. He only has two attacks: He will either shoot three fireballs at the player in rapid succession, or he will occasionally jump around the boss room. The former attack gets harder to dodge as he gets closer to you, and the latter will have a short-lasting earthquake effect. It is advised to use Super Arrow for maximum damage, although Wheel Cutter works well too, and it can protect you from all of his attacks if you climb the wall.
This level was deemed skippable by the judges, due to the insane enemy spam and unfair difficulty, especially in the scrolling sections.
|SnoruntPyro : 24 / 50|
|JupiHornet : 24 / 50|
|Enjl : 16 / 50|
|Garirry : 25 / 50|
|ACESpark : 18 / 50|
The author released a revised version of SMB3 about a month after MaGMML2's release. Not only is there a significant reduction in the enemy count and enemy health has been reduced, unchanged Mega Man enemies were removed from the level, two brand new enemies were added into the level that are exclusive to the airship fleet section and tank battalion section and the music has been changed due to gameplay videos being flagged for using copyrighted music. You can also play the unfinished sequel to SMB3, the two Pit of Pit levels featured in MaGMML2, the author's very first map created for MaGMML2 and the original version of SMB3 (with the enemies' changed stats). http://www.mediafire.com/file/ofy56g0dpd6udn3/Lizardcommando+MAGMML2.zip
- SMB3 was actually a placeholder name. The level originally would have been called Super Mario Warzone or Super Mario Battlefield.
- The main inspirations for this level were from Super Mario Bros. 3, Metal Slug, and the Megaman 7 opening stage orchestra remix from the MegaRock Carnival album. There was inspiration from Battlefield 1 for one of the enemies and a really old unreleased Game Maker game that involved a gun toting Koopa Troopa. The author of SMB3 had never played that Super Mario World themed level from the first Make A Good Mega Man Level contest. He had no idea a Super Mario Bros. themed level had been created in the previous contest.
- The two auto-scrolling sections were originally supposed to be played back-to-back, but the level designer deemed it too long and frustrating to have to go through two scrolling levels in a row. That's why it was split up into two different sections, giving players a choice between the two auto-scrolling sections.
- All of the enemies used in the level were supposed to be replaced, either with brand new Mario enemies or Mega Man enemies with a more Mario-Esque design (Like the Koopa Joe). Due to time constraints, that was never fully implemented.
- There were two enemies that were originally supposed to be in SMB3 in the auto-scrolling sections, a Para-Goomba that was supposed to replace the Parasyu and a Zaku Troopa (A mech resembling a Zaku 1 from the anime Mobile Suit Gundam with a Zaku-esque Bowser head.) that was supposed to replace the Power Muscler. The Para-Goomba would have been exclusive to the Airship Fleet section and the Zaku Troopa would have been exclusive to the Tank Battalion section. These enemies have been added into the revised version of SMB3.
- The second Tomahawk platform section in the Airship Fleet part of the level originally had the cloud platforms from Megaman 2. It almost worked, but the scrolling screen made it a little too hectic and you had to jump on the cloud at the right time, otherwise you'd fall off and die due to the screen scrolling.
|Make a Good Mega Man Level 2 - Tier 3|
|Chomp Man • SMB3 • MegaLondo • Combust Man • The Dampening • Taco Man • Candy Panic • Forgotten Fortress|
|List of Bosses|
|Chomp Man • Bowser • Combust Man • Taco Man • Metal Man • Gangly Crash Man|
|Tier Boss & Other Goodies|
|Door Man • Jewel Man|