Scuttle Cannon starts its pattern by choosing between one of four attacks:
- Lob three giant exploding cannonballs in arcs at Mega Man.
- Fire a cannonball that explodes in mid-air, splitting into four purple orbs that aim for Mega Man.
- Fire two cannonballs that bounce along the edges of the room.
- Fire six small fireballs that turn into larger flames upon touching the ground (much like the fire shot by Nitrons).
It will then use one of three attacks:
- Back up slightly, then run towards Mega Man, jumping to the other side of the room if it runs halfway across without hitting him.
- Back up slightly, then run towards Mega Man, stopping if it runs two thirds across without hitting him.
- Try to jump on Mega Man, then run the rest of the way to the other side of the room.
After that, Scuttle Cannon will jump below the screen, activate bullet spawners at the sides of the room (with three on each side), then jump back up to repeat the pattern. Scuttle Cannon will signal where it will jump back up from by whistling.