Difference between revisions of "Make a Good Mega Man Level 3"
|Line 25:||Line 25:|
== Entries ==
== Entries ==
A total of
A total of valid entries were submitted, with an additional being excluded or pulled for various reasons. This makes ''Make a Good Mega Man Level 3'' the largest ''MaGMML'' contest to date.
|Line 204:||Line 204:|
*Where no met has gone before
*Where no met has gone before
*Working in the Rain
*Working in the Rain
Revision as of 19:30, 17 May 2020
Make a Good Mega Man Level 3 (or MaGMML3 for short) is the upcoming third installment in the Make a Good Mega Man Level series, co-hosted by Mick Galbani and ACESpark. Like its predecessors, the game will feature community-created levels submitted as part of a level design contest. The contest will be judged by Mick Galbani, ACESpark, Flashman85, Pachy, and Shinryu. Several elements from MaGMML2, including costumes and the Pit of Pits, are expected to return.
The 2018 contest officially began on September 22, with November 25 being the submission deadline. Participants are encouraged to join the official MaGMML3 Discord for discussions and updates. The public beta for the Megamix Engine, which serves as the basis for MaGMML3's engine, was released on July 11th, while its official full release was on September 15th, a week before the submission period.
During the development of MaGMML2, host SnoruntPyro made the decision that she would not host the next contest, citing the stresses of hosting and a desire to participate in the next contest as reasons for stepping down. Mick Galbani, a community favorite for the position, stepped up to host MaGMML3. Planning for the third game began even before the second game was released, and a community feedback poll following the release of MaGMML2 was used to inform some of the planning for MaGMML3.
On October 29, 2017, ACESpark was invited to co-host and judge MaGMML3, based on the overwhelmingly positive response to his contributions to the second game. Applications for the remaining three judge slots were announced on November 6, 2017. In Stage 1 of the application process, applicants were given three weeks to judge the seven MaGMML3 Judge Application Levels, providing written comments and rating the levels based on a rubric. Of the 19 applicants, 11 moved on to Stage 2, where they submitted a sample of their Mega Man level design ability—either a level designed specifically for the application, or one they had already created. The submission deadline for Stage 2 was December 23, 2017; within 24 hours, Stage 2 applicants received a notification of the results, accompanied by brief comments on why they were or were not selected. At the same time, it was announced to the public that Flashman85, Pachy, and Shinryu would be judging MaGMML3 alongside Mick Galbani and ACESpark.
On August 24, 2018, the contest rules were announced, along with every previous and current main series judge offering recommendations for the upcoming submissions. Notable rule changes include:
- The submission period has been extended by an undetermined amount. (announced on Discord only)
- The late submission period has been drastically reduced to 7 days.
- Minor edits of devkit levels, such as Ancient Tomb, are no longer permitted.
- Noble Nickels have been replaced with Trickster Tokens, for which the per-level limit is still 5.
- Scoring is once again out of 100, with Creativity losing half of its original weight. Its 15 points were distributed evenly between Design, Fun, and Aesthetics.
On September 15, 2018, the devkit was released and the contest dates were announced.
On September 22, 2018, the submission form opened to the public, officially marking the opening of the contest.
On November 26, 2018, the deadline for submissions passed, though this was followed by a grace period where late submissions/resubmissions were accepted at the cost of a score penalty, the percentage of which increased with each day. This grace period ended at 11:59 EST on December 2, 2018.
A total of 175 valid entries were submitted, with an additional 15 being excluded or pulled for various reasons. This makes Make a Good Mega Man Level 3 the largest MaGMML contest to date.
- Worthless Man was not ranked in the contest, as the level contained flashing lights that triggered migranes in both one of the judges, ACESpark, and his proxy player, Loyana, preventing the former from giving the level a score.
- "QuintsMoonBase", "Black Terminus" and "Chase Sequence" were all pulled by their creators and replaced with new levels.
- "4'33"" was also pulled by its creator, though they did not submit a new level.
- "Thrilling", "*NEW* EPIC BATTLE ROYALE MODE IN MEGA MAN!", "A Mess of a Stage", "USM", and "Cardinal Man III" were excluded for being troll levels. In addition, "USM" contained written NSFW content, "*NEW* EPIC BATTLE ROYALE MODE IN MEGA MAN!" contained a threatening message aimed at the judges, and "Cardinal Man III" contained areas prone to significant performance issues (e.g. slowdown).
- "Curse of the Statuettes" was excluded for containing horribly broken screen transitions that were impossible to fix.
- "Boundless Network" and "Warehouse of Breakthroughs" were both excluded for containing custom or modified weapons.
- "22 Short Screens Without Sniper Joes" was excluded for containing an explicit drug reference.
- "Turbo Trickery Tower" was excluded for a high level of difficulty deemed malicious, with fundamental alterations necessary for the level to be accessible for the game's target audience.
On November 23, 2017, the poll for the game's weapon set was opened, lasting for 2 weeks until it was closed on December 7, 2017.
|Weapon||Original Robot Master||Original Game|
|Spark Chaser||Terra||Mega Man V|
|Laser Trident||Splash Woman||Mega Man 9|
|Water Shield||Pump Man||Mega Man 10|
|Tornado Blow||Tornado Man||Mega Man 9|
|Thunder Beam||Elec Man||Mega Man 1|
|Magnetic Shockwave||Onslaught||Marvel vs. Capcom|
|Ice Wall||Cold Man||Mega Man & Bass|
|Break Dash||Pluto||Mega Man V|
|Rush Coil||N/A||Mega Man 3|
|Rush Jet||N/A||Mega Man 4 (Variant)|
|Rush Bike||N/A||Mega Man 8|
|Magnet Beam||N/A||Mega Man 1|
- Big Snakey
- Gamarn and Gamadayu
- Giant Metall
- Gorilla Tank
- Hot Dog
- Lantern Fish
- Metall Potton
- Octoper OA
- Penpen Maker
|Break Man||The Minor Boss Arena||TBA|
|Yellow Devil||The Fortress Guardian Arena||TBA|
|Make a Good Mega Man Level 3|
|Mega Man • Dr. Light • Dr. Wily • Roll • Eddie|
|Thunder Beam • Tornado Blow • Laser Trident • Water Shield • Ice Wall • Break Dash • Spark Chaser • Magnetic Shockwave • Rush Coil • Rush Jet • Rush Bike • Magnet Beam|
|Ice Man • Bomb Man • Fire Man • Air Man • Bubble Man • Quick Man • Flash Man • Heat Man • Wood Man • Picopico-kun • Guts Dozer • Boobeam Trap • Enker • Hard Man • Spark Man • Kamegoro Maker • Dyna Man • Sonic Man • Dust Man • Metall Daddy • Giant Suzy • Punk • Iron Ball • Gyro Man • Stone Man • Dark Man 4 • Ballade • Hunter Type A • Hunter Type B • Blizzard Man • Yamato Man • Rounder II • Power Piston • Mercury • Saturn • Uranus • Grey Devil • Dangan Man • Oil Man • Hornet Man • Mega Mech Shark • Honey Woman • Commando Man • Solar Man|