Dr. Light's Lab
| Dr. Light's Lab|
Dr. Light's Lab is a recurring location in the Make a Good Mega Man Level series, serving as both a hub11R and a small explorable area2. The laboratory of Doctor Thomas Light, it serves as a home for both him and his robot "children", Rock and Roll.
- 1 Make a Good Mega Man Level (Remastered)
- 2 Make a Good Mega Man Level 2
- 3 Make a Good Mega Man Level: Episode Zero
Make a Good Mega Man Level (Remastered)
Dr. Light's Lab serves as the main hub of the game, with teleporters leading to the five tiers scattered across the building. Alongside these, however, are a number of features and NPCs to interact with.
Points of Interest
Dr. Light's Computer
Dr. Light's computer helpfully displays the number of Energy Elements currently collected, as well as icons for defeating Bright Man and clearing the Arena. Each Energy Element is displayed based on the stage's ranking (with the tier bosses making up the last four Elements on the third row, and the Wily Castle Elements making up the final row), allowing for an easy way of tracking what stages remain uncompleted. Make a Good Mega Man Level Remastered colour-codes each Element based on the tier that they come from.
In MaGMML1R, the Wily stages can be replayed after beating the game by talking to Dr. Light. If a Wily stage's floppy disk has been collected, the "Old Style" version of that Wily stage from the original Make a Good Mega Man Level can be played through (though the stage's original boss is replaced by that of the New Style version).
Cool Robots Room
The Cool Robots Room is an attic that Guts Man dedicated as a hangout spot for all the "cool robots". Initially, it only hosts Guts Man, but as the player progresses through the game, more characters will be added, including Galaxy Man1, Metal Man, Oil Man, Wind Man, Solar Man, Crash Man, Sheep Man, Air Man, Ice Man1R, Plant Man1R, Bass1R, and raocow. After completing the game, the Bright Man battle can be accessed through the wall on the right side of the room. In the original Make a Good Mega Man Level, the Arena is also unlocked and accessed from here; Remastered replaces it with a jukebox that can play music from the game's soundtrack.
The basement houses numerous amounts of breakable targets to test Special Weapons on, along with an infinite supply of weapon energy refills. Bomb Man, Auto1, Ice Man1, and eventually Quint inhabit this room.
- Main article: Eddie's Shop
In a seedy corner of the lab, Eddie runs a hidden shop, and is ready and willing to sell Mega Man his wares in exchange for bolts. Purchasable items range from Extra Lives (of questionable value depending on the game version) and Tanks, to useful upgrades, and even a new Special Weapon1R.
To the right of the entrance to Tier 3, Roll runs a costume shop. Costumes of herself, Proto Man, and Bass are available for purchase, as well as the ability to use Custom Costumes for a higher price.
- Main article: The Arena
After beating the game, the entrance to the Arena opens up in a part of the lab. In the original MaGMML, it is accessed via the Cool Robots Room. In MaGMML1R, however, it appears in a basement beneath the Target Practice room that is inaccessible beforehand.
In version 1.2 of MaGMML1R, the basement beneath the Target Practice room also contains a Boss Gallery, from which every boss in the game (except Bright Man) can be faced, so long as that boss has been beaten at least once. While fighting a boss in this mode, E-Tanks and M-Tanks can be used infinitely.
The number of NPCs in the laboratory starts off small, but as more Energy Elements are gathered, more NPCs will appear in each area.
- Dr. Light (unlocked by default)
- Auto (unlocked by default)
- Bomb Man (unlocked by default)
- Roll (unlocked by default)
- Beat (unlocked by default)
- Tango (unlocked by default)
- Dr. Cossack (unlocked by default)
- Guts Man (unlocked by default)
- Cut Man (unlocked with 1 Element)
- Fire Man (unlocked with 2 Elements)
- Galaxy Man (unlocked with 3 Elements)1
- Elec Man (unlocked with 4 Elements)
- Time Man (unlocked with 5 Elements)
- Ice Man (unlocked with 6 Elements)
- Oil Man (unlocked with 7 Elements)
- Metal Man (unlocked with 8 Elements)
- Charge Man (unlocked with 9 Elements)
- Gemini Man (unlocked with 10 Elements)
- Solar Man (unlocked with 11 Elements)
- Sheep Man (unlocked with 12 Elements)
- Top Man (unlocked with 13 Elements)
- Crash Man (unlocked with 14 Elements)
- Air Man (unlocked with 15 Elements)
- Bass (unlocked with 16 Elements)
- Centaur Man (unlocked with 17 Elements)
- Bubble Man (unlocked with 17 Elements)
- Plant Man (unlocked with 18 Elements)
- Plug Man (unlocked with 19 Elements)
- Concrete Man (in a Kalinka costume) (unlocked with 20 Elements)
- Snake Man (unlocked with 20 Elements)
- Stone Man (unlocked with 21 Elements)
- Wind Man (unlocked with 22 Elements)
- Quint (unlocked with 23 Elements)
- raocow (unlocked with 24 elements)
In MaGMML1R, playing with the Proto Mode cheat active will replace Concrete Man with Mega Man in a Splash Woman costume. He is replaced by Proto Man in a Wood Man costume when the Bass Mode cheat is active.
Make a Good Mega Man Level 2
The lab has been noticeably downsized in the second game, with almost all the features it had in the previous game being removed. The only things that remain are a few NPCs, a sign explaining who the judges are, and the shop. Many of the areas from the previous game, such as the attic, are closed off. However, Eddie remains with his shop intact, and Reggae can be found just outside; talking to him will allow Mega Man to selectively enable and disable upgrades he has obtained.
A variation of Dr. Light's Lab appears at the end of the Mega Arena before fighting Volt Man the Assimilator. All of its NPCs are replaced with Volt Man. Attempting to leave the lab will trigger the fight against Volt Man the Assimilator. Notably, this is the only occasion in the second game where the Cool Robots Room is accessible, though there is nothing of interest there. The shop is also open, and it sells a free "Volt Upgrade". However, it cannot be purchased due to having -1 bolts.
- Dr. Light
- Fire Man
- Ice Man
- Cut Man
Make a Good Mega Man Level: Episode Zero
The laboratory can be seen in Mega City, but it is closed to the public while simulation testing occurs inside, and cannot be accessed. After defeating SRARA Up n' Down, Cut Man will appear outside the lab; talking to him causes him to comment that the testing was "only supposed to take 24 hours".