Eddie (also known as Fliptop) is a character in the series that debuted in Mega Man 4. He is a support robot created by Dr. Light who, ever since he was introduced, has appeared throughout stages to give Mega Man a random drop. This makes his effectiveness vary, as sometimes he can provide something extraordinary (like an E-Tank), but other times he can give you something rather minor (like weapon energy). Some suspect that Eddie is secretly evil, though there is currently little evidence to support this.
Eddie fills numerous roles in the MaGMML series, but it isn't until Make a Good Mega Man Level 2 that he performs his classic role as random power-up dispenser via an object in the devkit, which returns in the Megamix Engine. This object has creation code variables that allow users to customise Eddie's functionality:
- myItem - Determines what Eddie will dispense. By default, he draws from a pool, but can drop specific objects, including enemies and bosses.
- permanent - Determines if Eddie respawns after delivering the item; by setting this to false, he will always return.
- moveTowardsPlayer - If true, Eddie will stay still instead of running towards Mega Man.
MaGMML Series Appearances
In the second game, Eddie once again runs his shop in the basement. However, he also takes on the role he has from the official games and dispenses items in various levels. Like in the classic games, his effectiveness varies. Furthermore, he appears in every fifth room of The Pit of Pits, and can be upgraded to appear in every other room. He will also appear in the battle against Seven Force, giving Mega Man a large health capsule between each Force.
Eddie can be killed off with use of the Slash Claw (though not its Alter Weapon counterpart, the Force Beam). This causes him to drop three pickups. After being killed off, he will stop appearing in levels until Mega Man enters the shop or buys the Eddie upgrade in The Pit of Pits. He will still help with Seven Force, however.
If the player manages to get 9999 bolts and goes to the shop, Eddie will have special dialog commenting on this feat.
Eddie's role is almost nonexistent, with Reggae taking up his usual niche of morally-dubious upgrade salesman. However, he does make a single appearance in the level Frosty Fields, where he is frozen in a Chill Man Block. Freeing him will prompt him to give a random item before leaving. Notably, because of how Chill Man Blocks work, one can respawn the block to free Eddie an infinite number of times.
If Zero freed Eddie at least once, he will make a brief cameo during the game's credits, stepping out from behind a stall and being noticed by Beat. If he wasn't defrosted, however, he is completely absent.
Levels Eddie Appears In
- Cardinal Man
- Orbital Station
- Holy Crap, Mega Man Can Airslide?
- Maze of Significantly Less Death
- Joe Man
- Just an Ice Level
- City Under Siege
- Donut Observation Center
- Rad Gravity
- Guts Man's Asteroid (drops a Rolling Drill, then a modified Yashichi)
- The Stage Nobody Asked For
- Unobtainium Mine (drops health pick ups after every Force defeated)
- Swiss Hotel (drops a JUMP sign)
- Star Road
- Deep Thoughts (drops a modified Super Joe)
- Frosty Fields