|Artwork by Capcom|
The Foot Holder is a gimmick found in the original Mega Man. It is an elevator robot that flies with a propeller on its underside.
Foot Holders were added as a gimmick in Make a Good Mega Man Level 2, where they appear in the entry Volcanic Furnace. A modified variant known as the Guided Foot Holder appears in The Stage Nobody Asked For.
With the release of the Megamix Engine, Foot Holders were reworked to be more customisable and controllable like the Guided Foot Holder; as such, this article considers the two gimmicks one single entity.
Foot Holders are flying entities that can be stood on like platforms, and are top-solids that can be jumped on from below. By default, they will move back and forth while also moving up and down almost randomly. Guided Foot Holders, on the other hand, move on specific preset paths, with no randomisation in their movement at all. Starting with the Megamix Engine, devkit Foot Holders can be given preset paths through creation code and newly-added guide objects (known in-engine as "objFootholderGuide").
In the Megamix Engine, Foot Holders have numerous creation code variables that can modify several of their attributes:
- variation - If set to 2, Foot Holders will shoot projectiles from both sides of their body, as they could in the original Mega Man.
- mode - Determines how it moves (by default, this set to mode = 1, which decides movement based on guide objects. If set to mode = 0, however, it will move around randomly).
- mySpeed - Decides how fast it moves (only applicable if mode = 1 is applied).
- targetMode - Determines its targeting of FootholderGuide objects (0 = random if repeated, 1 = always pick the nearest target, 2 (default) = move in a sequence based on the order variable in each guide object). Like with mySpeed, this variable is only applicable if mode = 1 is applied.
- backtrack - If set to true, the Foot Holder will follow its path in reverse upon reaching the end of it (only applicable if targetMode = 2 is applied). If false, the Foot Holder will simply fly back to its starting point to repeat the cycle.
Foot Holder guide objects also come with two of their own creation code variables:
- myFlag - When given a value that matches the myFlag variable of a Foot Holder, it will be recognised by that Foot Holder.
- order - Determines the order a Foot Holder with targetMode = 2 applied flies between each guide object.
- Sprites for a green Foot Holder exist in the Megamix Engine, but unlike most enemies and gimmicks, it lacks a creation code option to apply them. They can still be used by putting "sprite_index = sprFootholderGreen" into a Foot Holder's creation code.