Just an Ice Level
| 35th : Just an Ice Level|
|Lives up to its name.|
Just an Ice Level is the 35th place entry in Make A Good Mega Man Level 2. It's just an ice level.
Having been intrigued by video playthroughs of MaGMML1, Pachy took the opportunity to participate in the second contest as it was announced. Just an Ice Level was the first completed Mega Man level Pachy has ever done. The icy theme was chosen purely because of the music, as it was the song tested while Pachy was playing around with the devkit.
The initial plan with the level layout was that the top portion would be primarily focused on platforming, and to appeal speedrunners with the relatively small enemy density; Meanwhile, the bottom portion would focus more on enemy challenges. Both sections were planned to be connected again at the end, but it was cut due to time constraints. To an extent, the final version sort of achieved what they were intended. Though, due to the lack of playtesters, the snowy part ended up being too demanding for less experienced players, with the amount of precise jumps it requires, on top of the wind gimmick being much buggier in the released game makes the section vastly more frustrating compared to the cave section.
The lack of boss at the end was because of Pachy's inability to program new enemies at the time, and having the wrong impression that using devkit bosses would somehow cut down the level's overall score. In reality, using devkit bosses is completely fine.
Noble Nickel Locations
- At the start of the stage, head left. You'll be greeted by Cirno and the first Nickel behind her.
- At the end of the first section, use Wheel Cutter to get over the right wall where the two Mets are standing. You'll get two small bolts and two large bolts alongside the second Nickel in the next room.
- At the cavern area (bottom portion after the split path), there are Chill blocks in the way of a slide passage. Destroy the Chill blocks, slide inside and you'll find the third Nickel along with four small and large bolts and a large weapon pickup.
- At the snowy area (top portion after the split path), at the end of the first pit section near the two penguin shooters, an invisible ladder indicated by the small health pickup right below it. Go up the ladder, the fourth Nickel resides, along with five small bolts, three large bolts and an M-Tank.
- The stage was intended to have two exits, hence the split paths. Due to an oversight, the two elements ended up counting as one in the released version of the game.
- During judging, the application had an error that rounded up the nickel count wrong, that combined with the obscure nature of the invisible ladder Nickel, none of the judges actually found said Nickel until the judging period was over.
- The name "Just an Ice Level" is just a dumb naming gimmick Pachy came up with, no other deeper meaning were intended.
- An NPC of the character Patchouli Knowledge was made, but it was never imported into the final level.
|SnoruntPyro : 35 / 50|
|JupiHornet : 31 / 50|
|Enjl : 19 / 50|
|Garirry : 34 / 50|
|ACESpark : 32 / 50|
Overall this was well built and the variety of challenges was pretty effective. There are a few spots where the stage drops the ball though. Some of the later challenges are a serious difficulty spike and one or two are borderline unfair, (some of the later Penguin spaner challenges are a bit much) and on the Chillman path, it doesn't seem quite right that you are forced to use weapons or kill yourself off if you fail the challenge or mistime it. I know the asset is a dev-kit one, but the level does need to be designed around the fact that these don't respawn. [CHANGED POST JUDGING] The E-Tank path is that last cave was pretty clever and well thought out though! As simple as it is, this was probably the highlight of the stage for me. I think this one worked, and overall, felt above average, which by Mega Man standards still means it's pretty good. Oh, and that first Noble Nickel was hilarious. Top marks for that one. Lastly: Don't put boss corridors in if you're not going to use a boss, or a stage climax. It ends your level on a low note!
|Make a Good Mega Man Level 2 - Tier 6|
|Wily Coaster • Changeable Caverns • Joe Man (stage) • Crystal Lab • Nitrogen Man • Duwang • Lava Factory • Just an Ice Level|
|List of Bosses|
|Joe Man • Joe Man R • Chill Man • Crash Man|