|Artwork by Capcom|
Trio (also known as the "Evil Robot") is a minor character from Mega Man 8. He is a mysterious alien robot who harnesses Evil Energy. Though defeated and destroyed by Duo at the start of Mega Man 8, he unwittingly brought Evil Energy to Earth and into the hands of Dr. Wily. Though no official games have elaborated on him beyond this, issue 42 of the Archie Comics Mega Man series expanded his backstory, giving him a name and establishing him as a former member of the alien Star Marshals who betrayed his allies and joined forces with the evil supercomputer Ra Moon.
Trio appears with this name and backstory in Make a Good Mega Man Level: Episode Zero, where he serves as the last boss fought in Null and Void, and the final boss of the main game. Though long dead, his robotic "soul" leaked into Tier X, and SRARA's attempts to control reality by abusing the area's energy allow him to resurrect himself from their corrupted Energy Elements. He attempts to abuse his newfound power, but is defeated once again by Zero and Duo.
Trio is battled in a zero gravity environment like those in Explosive Freefall, with Duo flying alongside Zero as an AI-controlled partner. He will occasionally shoot star-shaped projectiles at Trio or bounce across the screen in his comet form, while Trio will target either him or Zero at various points. If Trio damages Duo enough, the latter will be temporarily inactive while he switches his attention to Zero.
While flying, Trio is protected from the front by a barrier, but he frequently drops it to shoot up to four star-shaped projectiles. After firing these stars, he may do one of several attacks:
- Make his fist flash white, then charge towards either Zero or Duo to punch them. This punch makes the target fly backwards, hits them twice, and bypasses invulnerability frames.
- Create a large star in the centre of the screen that shoots smaller stars outward, just like Duo's star turret in S.R.A.R.A. HQ.
- Transform into a comet similar to Duo's, and bounce across the screen multiple times, occasionally stopping to fly right towards his current target. Whenever he hits a screen boundary, large shockwaves are created that travel across said boundary.
- Summon three Evil Energy skulls that slowly drift towards their target, occasionally firing small stars at them. These skulls have 10 HP, share Trio's damage table, and can be stunned in place by Duo.
- Fly to one side of the arena and fire a barrage of large energy blasts. The blasts float up to different heights before flying forwards.
When Trio's HP has been reduced to 21 or less, he briefly staggers before flying to a random point on the screen, charging up energy, and releasing a screenwide spiral of small projectiles. This attack is normally undodgeable, Trio is immune to damage while doing it, and the only way to avoid it is to hide behind Duo as he creates a shield to reflect the bullets. After doing this move three times, Trio resumes his normal attack pattern.
After reaching 1 HP, Trio flies to the left side of the screen and surrounds himself in a larger shield, becoming completely invincible. Duo starts charging energy for an attack and asks Zero to cover him as Evil Energy skulls start appearing to support Trio. The skulls have to be taken down before they do too much damage to Duo, otherwise he will be stunned and have to retry his attack. Once Duo has charged up enough energy, he tackles straight into Trio, shattering his barrier and stunning him in place. Both robots are permanently stunned, and Zero can end the fight at his leisure by attacking Trio once.
- The majority of Trio's sprites are taken from the fangame Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch, where he goes by his "Evil Robot" moniker.
- The music that plays during the battle against Trio is a medley remixing the final boss theme of Mega Man Battle Network 4 with the Evil Robot's themes from the fangames Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch and Proto Man's Return. Additionally, Latin chanting from Final Fantasy VII's "One-Winged Angel" is briefly sampled.
|Make a Good Mega Man Level: Episode Zero - Chapter 3|
|Entrance to Tier X • Ghouls n' Ghasts • Toxic Tunnels • Looping Growth Garden • Rainbow Ravine • Shift Posting • Psionic Space Station • Ice Breaker • Code Landfill • Lily Airpad • Null and Void|
|List of Bosses|
|SRARA Met • Chesder • Chesder's Revenge • Red Arremer Man • Amoeba Droid • Psionic Man • Giga Count 2.0 • Cloud Devil 2.0 • Toad Man|
|Null and Void Bosses|
|Alter Archive • Big Chungus • Dust Man • Elec Man • Elec Spine • Hatter Joe • Illumina Alpha • Magmatron • Mega Man 2 NETA • Pepsi Man's Revenge • Pico Shuffle • Quick Man • Trailing Zero|
|SRARA • Unununium • Trio|