- "A Wily Boss Archive was a very clever boss idea that I found very enjoyable!"
- ―MrKyurem, in his judge review.
The Wily Archives are a group of seven bosses from Make a Good Mega Man Level and its remake, appearing in the stage Research Facility. They are recreations of various Wily Castle (and other fortress stage) bosses from throughout the six NES games, culminating in a battle against a Wily Capsule recreation.
The Wily Archives are encountered a total of three times in the stage. The first two encounters have each Archive robot taking turns fighting Mega Man, while the third and final encounter only has one robot to fight.
In Make a Good Mega Man Level Remastered, the Wily stage Flashback Database has Mega Man face the Wily Archives a fourth time in the Research Facility recreation, using the Yellow Devil, Dark Man 3, and Mechazaurus Archives. However, they are otherwise unchanged.
Based on the Yellow Devil from Mega Man, this Archive will move to the boss door, split into three, and zip forward in an attempt to hit Mega Man. The Archives will always move in the same order: middle, bottom, top. After doing this, it will merge back together and return to its original position, ending its turn.
Based on the Mecha Dragon from Mega Man 2, this Archive will move to the right of the screen and move up and down, shooting two fireballs at a time towards Mega Man's position. After four rounds of shots, it will return to its original position, ending its turn.
Based on the Kamegoro Maker from Mega Man 3, this Archive will move to the top middle of the screen and release three Kamegoros. They will bounce on the sides of the arena and eventually despawn. Once all the Kamegoros are gone, it will return to its original position, ending its turn.
Based on the Cossack Catcher from Mega Man 4, this Archive will move around the middle height of the room, attempting to drop on Mega Man and occasionally firing a spread shot. After two spread shots, it will return to its original position, ending its turn.
Dark Man 3
Based on Dark Man 3 from Mega Man 5, this Archive will fall to the ground, jump, and shoot five shots before returning to the ground and shooting a three-shot paralyzer gun. After jumping three times, it will return to its original position, ending its turn.
Based on Mechazaurus from Mega Man 6, this Archive will float to the upper-right corner and shoot fireballs that stay on the ground for a bit while green platforms appear, which will allow Mega Man to reach the boss. After five fireballs, it will return to its original position, ending its turn.
The final encounter has only one Archive, which is based on the various Wily Capsules. Though the monitor displays the Mega Man 6 iteration, it's more of a composite of different Wily Capsules. It teleports around the room, performing one of three attacks every time it appears:
- Forming 4 projectiles around it, which then shoot towards Mega Man.
- Forming 3 projectiles that spin around the arena.
- Releasing a bomb that splits into two projectiles.
Make a Good Mega Man Level
Make a Good Mega Man Level Remastered
- The Wily Archives are derived from the Weapons Archive boss from Mega Man 10 (albeit replacing Robot Masters with fortress bosses), even using the same sprites.
- The real Mecha Dragon and Kamegoro Maker would be later added as standard devkit bosses in Make a Good Mega Man Level 2 and Make a Good Mega Man Level 3, respectively. The Yellow Devil, meanwhile, would appear as an Arena-exclusive boss in MaGMML3.
- In MaGMML1R, the Wily Archives are slightly modified to closer resemble the original Weapons Archive, with additional sound effects and a more accurate death explosion.
- Solar Blaze is the only Special Weapon to not be a weakness of any of the Wily Archives. This applies even in MaGMML1R, where the game's unique new weapon, Power Orb, is effective against the Kamegoro Maker.
|Make a Good Mega Man Level - Tier 4|
|Under Construction • Spiky Meltdown • Thunderclyffe Plant • Research Facility|